Monday, March 22, 2010

Curling Iron Sleeve - The Tutorial

Well, here it is.. the tutorial for the Curling/Flat Iron Sleeve. So simple to make too.

You will need:
1 fat quarter of fabric
Insul-Bright (can be found at JoAnn's)

Cut a rectangle of fabric 12 1/2 inches x 22 inches
Fold in half with RST (right sides together) as shown below

Sew along one short end and the open long end. You will have an opening on one short end remaining.

Turn right side out and press

Next take your Insul Bright which has a silver (almost tinfoil like) lining to it..

(Can you see the silver lining in the picture? It's not a very good picture.. sorry.)

and cut a strip that is 5 1/2 inches wide x 21 inches long.

Now slip the Insul Bright into the "sleeve" of fabric. This will take some work and adjusting to get it flat.

Next, fold your fabric over the Insult Bright at the opening and press opening closed.

Leave this open for now.

Next - go to the other short end (the closed end) and stitch along this end. You can use any stitch you want - I used a decorative stitch, but a straight stitch looks good too.

Now fold this stitched end over and down (does that make sense? LOL) approx 2 inches from bottom opening.
You can see in above picture the stitched end and the open end. Pin in place to prevent shifting during next step. (walking foot recommended)

Next - you will stitch along 3 sides as shown in picture below. This will close your open end. 
 

That's it.. you are done!


Now go put away that HOT curling iron!!!

If you make one - I'd love to see it.

And don't hesitate to ask questions - I will answer them all!
Pin It

13 comments:

Mikol said...

I can use one of these, ok, maybe two. :) Thanks!

holly said...

Great tutorial thanks for sharing.

Pamela said...

Thank you for the tutorial. I have one that was a gift from a friend and I would have to keep my eyes on my sister to make sure she didn't 'borrow' it. Now I can make her one!

Tammy said...

What a cool idea, I'm going to try this idea. First I have to get the insul stuff. Thanks for sharing!!

Jandi said...

Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing!

Shirley--Knot-y Embroidery Lady said...

What a great idea and it looks good too! Thank you!

Unknown said...

once I get caught up on some projects, I would love to make one....I will be coming back for this tutorial.....

Bev C said...

Thanks for this Heidi, will have to look for the insulation stuff!!! I think I will have to make at least three of these. Happy days.
Bev.xoxo

CJ said...

I have been working on one of these! I had to set it aside to get the Easter production costumes done but I will get back to it soon. Great minds and all that ;)

Micki said...

What a great tutorial!
Micki

mercy said...

Hi,
I love your blog and it is more informative.
Fabove, Canada's leading beauty store, recommends these best curling irons based on Customer's rating and ranking. Sorted in different price ranges and categories. Free shipping across Canada and USA.

Kari @ The Purple Quiltapotamus said...

Oh I LOVE this!! I need to go get some insul-bright and make a few gifts for my family members to keep their straighteners in during their travels.

Anonymous said...

Was this long enough for your straightener? I had to add to it to fit my straightener. But this is a very simple tutorial, thanks for sharing!