Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Tutorial: Nook Color Zip Pouch

First let me appologize up front to anyone who is not a Minnesota Vikings Fan - Especially you Green Bay Packer Fans, because you will have to suffer through this tutorial. But we are a Vikings family.. and the boys in this house bleed purple. 

I made this for my son so I don't have to worry about him scratching the screen of his Nook when he tosses it into his backpack.

Supplies Needed:
2 Fat Quarters (one inside and one outside. I used same for both)
scrap fabric for accent 4x4inches
1 Zipper (I used a 22in long zipper)
Fusible Interfacing (Pellon) of your choice
Thread
Zipper Foot

- If making for a Nook Color, cut as follows:
2 pieces 11x8 inches from your exterior fabric
2 pieces 11x8 inches from you interior fabric

(If making for another device, measure your device and add 3 inches to each side. Example if your device is 5 x 7, cut fabric 8 x 10)


 

I used the same fabric for the interior and exterior which probably wasn't the best idea for visual effects. Sorry about that.

- Cut your pellon 1/2 inch smaller than your fabric. Mine are 10 1/2 x 7 1/2 inches

- Cut your accent fabric 2 x 4 inches.

- Iron your pellon (or other fusible interfacing) to your outer fabric. The pellon I used was fusible on both sides - so I made a pellon sandwich. If your pellon is only fusible on one side, then you would fuse to your outer fabric then place your interior fabric on (WST wrong sides together) and give a 1/8 inch basting stitch all around the outside to keep your sandwich together.

- Next, grab the zipper and pull it open a few inches.

- Then trim the ends to make the zipper 1 inch shorter than the side you want the zipper to be on. Mine is the longer 11 inch side - so my zipper is trimmed to 10 inches. (You will want to trim some of both ends to make it nice and neat. Don't just cut from one end to make it 10 inches.)
- Now take your accent pieces and fold them in half, press. Now open and fold edges to the middle and press again. They will each now measure 1/2 inch x 4 inches. (Do this with both accent pieces)
- Now place at the end of your zipper and sew to create and end. Do this with both accent pieces.
- The zipper should now look like this.
- Take one 'sandwich' and pin zipper to top. Centering. Each zipper end will be 1/2 inch from fabric ends. Make sure your zipper is facing down and your exterior fabric is facing up.
- Using your zipper foot - stitch along edge with 1/4 inch seam. Now do this with the other sandwich and the other side of your zipper.

You should end up with something that looks like this. The exterior fabric is facing up in the picture below.
- Now stitch long the top (I don't have a picture of this) but it is to finish along the zipper and stitch your 1/4 seam down.)

- This picture below is what the underside looks like after the seam has been stitched down.
- Next fold in half - with your exterior fabrics facing each other and your interior fabric facing out.
- Stitch all around edges connecting both sides. I used a simple zigzag stitch to keep edges from fraying. BEFORE STARTING THIS STEP - make sure your zipper is about 1/2 way open. This is how you will turn the pouch.
- Now that you have sewed your seams all together.. it's time to turn using your zipper opening.

Whallaaah...

It's a good idea to use a heavy interfacing like Pellon 987 or similar so it gives the pouch some extra padding. But nothing too thick.

If you have any questions at all - please send me an email and I will make sure to answer them!

Enjoy!!
Pin It

8 comments:

Luv 2 Kreate said...

What a great tutorial! I need to make one for my NOOK!

KristyLou said...

Go Vikes!!!

Anonymous said...

thankyou Heidi for a great tutorial

Michele said...

What a great tutorial :-) Thanks for sharing!

OliveStreetStudio said...

perfect timing bc I just cut some zipper pouches and was going to look up how to sw-in a zipper! yes, I have never zippered before....

McVal said...

I like how you finished the zipper ends! I need to make one of these for my daughter for school and the zipper ends always look stupid.
Thanks!

Stephanie said...

What an easy way to sew a zipper...I cannot believe I have never thought to do it that way!!! Thanks for the tutorial!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice tutorial! (From a Packers fan! lol)