Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Grandma's Kitchen

What does it mean when people say "Comfort Food"? Comfort food can be many things.. it can fill you up and make you all fat warm inside. Or it can take you back to your childhood.. times when you felt like all was good with the world and you were one lucky kid!!

That's what this recipe that I'm about to share does for me. It takes me back to my Grandma's kitchen at the lake. We would spend weekends there in the summer and in the morning Grandma would make us pancakes with her (family) famous Buttermilk Pancake Recipe. I clearly remember sitting at the circa 1960 kitchen table with metal table legs (remember those?) while Grandma stood at the stove cooking pancakes in her cast iron skillet.

I recently made these for my boys and they loved them! They are truly the BEST pancakes EVER!!! I'm not kidding.. they melt in your mouth and they are so fluffy!

Anyway.. on to the recipe. It's super easy to remember.. it's all "2's"

Ingredients:
2 cups Buttermilk
2 Eggs
2 tsp sugar
2 cups Flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp Oil (I use vegetable)
dash of salt

It makes quite a bit of batter - So I typically split it. My kids ask for them almost every single day!

And today.. I thought I would get creative and try something new. I made the batter.. and poured it into the waffle maker

Let me just say... OH.MY.GOODNESS!!! It made the best waffles ever. They were crispy on the outside.. and so soft on the inside. Why did I wait this long to make waffles with this recipe??

Sorry about the focus on this picture - but I had drool coming down my chin and couldn't wait to shove that entire waffle in my mouth! There wasn't time to focus the camera!!

Now trust me on this.. they are worth making. Even if you already think you have a favorite pancake recipe.. give this one a try and see what you think. You won't be disappointed.

I have some fun posts for you later this week. I'm working on a "Thread Guide" for you.. along with a fun bag that would make a great teacher or student book bag!

Now go make pancakes for dinner! Pin It

14 comments:

Ruth said...

I'm a sucker for waffles. They look really good!

sunny said...

I've never had a good pancake recipe, so I'd be glad to test this! DH and I tried your cream cheese stuffed chicken a couple of weeks ago, and it was awesome! Did I already tell you that? Awesome, I say.

FlourishingPalms said...

For weight control, I've sworn off carbohydrates, except for a little granola in morning yogurt. So no bread, no rolls, no muffins, no pasta, no rice, and certainly, no waffles or pancakes. But golly, don't those look yummy. Maybe as a treat... someday. Thanks for sharing this deliciousness.

Unknown said...

And if, if, if you have any waffles left over, you can freeze them for later. Double yum.

corina said...

I think we're having waffles for dinner!

Anonymous said...

Heidi theses look fantastic think i will make some over easter,thakyou for the recipe

Sarah C said...

MUST...GET...WAFFLE MAKER!!!! Those look so delicious!

Bev C said...

Hello Heidi,

Those waffles look so yummy.
Happy days.
Bev.xoxo

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Alright...you've got me reminiscing about waking to bacon frying and coffee perking aromas filling the house and waking me gently!

Joan said...

Oh heavens - I wish I had a waffle maker ..... drooling! Happy Easter.

Paula said...

Catching on my blogs and now I know what I will have for Easter brunch. They look droolingly yummie.
Thanks for sharing.
Paula

Sherril said...

Throw some cinnamon and use brown sugar for the waffles and you'll die, simply die! Because they're to die for.

Joan said...

I think I need a waffle maker...and yum - love the look of the pancakes.

Thank you for the FNSI - its a great thing to be part of.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Can you tell me the instructions, please? Or do you mix everything together? Thanks! Cant wait to try!