Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Grandma's Apple Pie

I thought I'd share this recipe in time to add it to your Easter table this Sunday.


When my Grandparents moved into a nursing home many years ago - my Grandma gave me all her recipes. I don't think it was a strategic move since I was far from domestic at the time. When one of us Grandkids would show up to transport her or my Grandpa to a Dr's appt (during this time of transition), she would not let us leave empty handed. I just think I happened to be there the day she was going through her recipes. Just like my cousin Kathy happened to get her sewing machine (I still don't think Kathy sews.. see - not strategic).

Anyway.. back to the recipe. I don't ever remember her making Apple Pie.. or any pie really. She was known for her Banana Bread - truly the BEST Banana Bread I've ever had. But I found this hand written Apple Pie recipe in her collection and gave it a try.. AMAZING!!! So today I'll share it with you.

I make my own crust.. but this is optional if you want, you can cheat and buy the crust. But if you have the time.. make your own.. it's so much better. This crust recipe is actually my Mom's and it's so flaky and wonderful.

Crust
1 cup Flour
1/2 cup Crisco shortening
1/4 cup cold water
combine with a fork and roll out on floured surface. This makes one crust - so I double it and roll out 1/2 at a time. You will want to knead a little bit - but not to much.
Place your crust in pie pan

Filling:
6-8 Granny Smith Apple (peeled and sliced)
1/4 c Sugar
1 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
dash of salt
Coat your sliced apples with above ingredients.


And place in prepared crust


Topping with remaining ingredients below:
1/4 cup Butter softened
2/3 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Flour
Blend until crumbly and spread over top of apples.

Roll out your second crust and slice into strips to create lattice top.

Trim all your edges - pinch edges of crust. Next brush top with milk (or half and half) and sprinkle lattice top with sugar.

I use Vanilla Sugar from Penzey's. If you have never heard of Penzey's.. I'm so sorry. It is a spice store and they are out.of.this.world. You would think that a spice store would be expensive.. but they are not. Even if you never plan to buy spices from them.. get on their mailing list.. because their catalogs have amazing recipes in them. And you can order online also. I also like to sprinkle the Vanilla Sugar on Strawberries for shortcake. (I could do an entire post on their spices..yum)

Anyway.. back to the pie. Bake in a 350 degree oven for approx 45 - 60 minutes.

Homemade pies are so pretty...

And delicious!

If you make this, I'd like to hear what you think. Pin It

10 comments:

Grethe said...

Oh yes,one of these days,I will make it. Apple Pie with cream or custard is deliciousHow much is a cup? Seem to remember 2.5 dl??
Happy Quilting.

Anne-Mettes Oaser said...

When I read your recipe or better say Grandma's, then I really would love to have a slice for tonights tea.
Greetings from Denmark,
Anne-MEtte

Shaina said...

You did a beautiful job making that pie. Looks absolutely delightful and yummy. I'll have to give it a whirl.

Generational recipes are my favorite!

Kristen said...

*drool*

Poppyprint said...

A lattice top! I'd say your domestic tendencies have reached a pinnacle! This looks delicious.

Jocelyn said...

There is nothing quite like home made Apple Pie! The vanilla sugar looks wonderful. I will have to check it out.

Val said...

There is nothing like something from a Grandmother. This is so special and so pretty. I can only imagine how it tastes. Thanks for the recipe.

Helen in Switzerland said...

yum, that looks like a great recipe. I'll have to see if I can find some Granny Smith apples and give it a try over Easter! I'll let you know how I get along!

Margarita said...

yummmmy I am drooling, love home made apple pie, hate cooking.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Pie just came outta the oven and some of it went into my belly. MMMMMM I did add nutmeg to mine though. Grew up making apple pies and apple dumplings, found this post a few days ago and left it open on my computer to remind me to make an apple pie! Thanks!!!