Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Science.... zzzzzzzzz

I have a 13 year old who LOVES Science. I often find myself the victim of his endless science facts and long explanations. And usually, these conversations end about 1/2 way through when my eyes gloss over and I start to snore.
 
But there are times when I am intrigued... Like this last week. He had an assignment to make a Cell. But the Teacher said it had to be edible.
 
So, he made a list of things he needed and off to the store we went.
 
His Cell is a 1/2 a Grape, inside 1/2 a peach.. inside 1/2 a Honeydew Melon.
 
 
Then we used various candy for the other parts.

 
His teacher told him she had never seen one made from fruit in all her years. Kids typically use a giant cookie, or a cake.

 
He was surprised that he was the first to use fruit. He told her "Really? Because fruit was the first thing that came to my mind." And she told him she was impressed with his "out of the box" thinking and gave him extra credit!
 
He didn't even wait to tell me he had an "A+".. he called me from the bus.

Pin It

12 comments:

Regina said...

Very cool!

Anonymous said...

thats fantastic and well done mate.xx

Teresa said...

What an awesome project!! Yay fruit!

Heather said...

YAY SCIENCE! Good on him, that's a fantastic project. :D

luv2quilt2 said...

What a great project!

Kristen King said...

That is great...and we love fruit so that makes it all the better! :)

Asiyah said...

That is so stinkin' cool. Attaboy!

boysmum2 said...

I thought you were going to say this was his new way of showing the solar system. Way cool, well done

stitchersanon said...

I was a science teacher and I have never thought of using fruit. That really is a cool cell...the best I have ever seen and he will certainly remember it all now! Smart kid!

Michelle said...

That is cool! Has he seen the science books by Sean Connolly -- they've got some really neat experiments.

Unknown said...

you completed good project.

Carla Belyea said...

That is a sweet looking cell! I have seen some made from jello that are really cool too.