Friday, February 11, 2011

Some Creative Recycling..

Thanks to my Sister-in-law for starting me down this path. My family got together this past weekend to celebrate my youngest son’s 7th birthday. When chatting with my SIL, she mentioned some mittens that she bought last Summer at a craft fair.


They are made from a felted wool sweater – and her quote “They are the warmest mittens I have ever owned”.

So I went to Goodwill early this week and found the perfect sweater for only $2.99. I brought it home and tossed it in the wash machine.. then into a hot dryer.


And made these…

These were my first attempt - I'm not happy with the thumb section. I need to come up with a better way to do the thumb.. right after I find another wool sweater! Pin It

13 comments:

Linda said...

Great idea! I have also seen a quilt made out of castaway sweaters. They were all sewn randomly. If I can remember where I saw it, I'll let you know. I am all into recycling our woven goods. Good job...thanks for sharing.

Helen in Switzerland said...

What a great idea Heidi! They look wonderful! I'm going to bear this in mind the next time I have a wool wash disaster!!

paulette said...

Hi Heidi!
Check out my blog...http://sweetp-paulette.blogspot.com/
There was a lady making mittens at the Clubhouse...check and see how she made the thumbs. I tried a pair on and they were very comfortable!
Take care!
P

Rachel said...

They're cute! I made some mittens out of felted wool sweaters. I adapted this pattern: http://www.craftleftovers.com/blog/archives/5814

I made the outsides from the wool and lined them with fleece.

You are right - they are THE warmest mittens ever!

QuilterMary said...

I've never found a wool sweater at thte thrift shop ... of course I've only gone twice. GREAT job on the warm mittens.

Becky said...

Very cool! Thanks for sharing! I'm hoping to make a quilt soon out of vintage sheets!! Love the upcycling goodness!

Yankee Valley Stitcher said...

Awesome way to recycle..way to go girl!!

Cheryl said...

CUTE!!!!! Off to sign up for Friday Night Sew-In!

Val said...

Now this is so very smart!

PinkGranny said...

Great idea and they look so warm. I could've used those on my walk today!

sunny said...

I hit the thrift stores now an dthen looking for wool sweaters - I found one today! I also found another cute sweater that will probably be made into either a bag or a pillow. Just too cute to pass up. Love the mittens!

Nana B said...

To be redundant - great idea!!

Nana B

Teresa said...

Wow~ that is so cool! Now I have another reason to check out the thrift stores.