Tuesday, February 8, 2011

T-Shirt Quilt Complete

Well, I finished the T-shirt Quilt and delivered it to the recipient. It felt good to have an item off my "to do" list.



I really appreciate all of your suggestions on how to finish/quilt this one. I decided to go with grey thread with straight line quilting at an angle across the quilt.

For the back I used a soft green flannel sheet. I know some quilting purists who would never consider using a sheet as backing - but I honestly don't see anything wrong with it. I've seen some adorable quilt backings made from sheets - kids quilts especially.

This was my first T-shirt quilt and I learned a few things along the way.

1. I typically don't pre-wash fabrics before quilting - however, I should have pre-washed my sashing fabric. The reason is because the T-Shirts have all be washed so many times and had no "shrink" left in them.

2. When making a quilt using T-Shirts previously worn by a sweaty athletic teenager.. you can smell said teen every time you use the iron. A little lavender scented spray startch goes a long way.

Now I'm off to work on another unfinished project from my "to do" pile!

Thanks again for all your suggestions! Pin It

12 comments:

Farm Gate Creations Incorporating Hummingbird Quilting said...

Looks great Heidi, It sure does feel good crossing things off that to do list, doesn't it....

Teresa said...

I had to laugh at your "active teenager" comment. Congratulations on a beautiful quilt!

Julia said...

That's great. My daughter wants me to make one for her, but I just haven't had the "want to" yet. Maybe sometime.

Barb said...

Turned out wonderfully!!!

Kristen said...

This came out great! Did you use interfacing on the knit? LOL on 2!

Bobbi said...

that is FANTABULOUS!!! makes me want to dig out all the tshirts i can find. :)

Needled Mom said...

It looks great and I know it will be loved.

Kathy said...

Love it!!! I've always wanted to try to make a T-Shirt quilt!!! Personally I love the idea of the sheet backing....Thanks for sharing.

Cheryl said...

Great job!!! Love the way you quilted and that's a good tip about the Lavender spray!

Tammy said...

it turned out great. i love the grey thread and the way you quilted it. i also love your hint about ironing on t-shirts, now that is a good thing to keep in mind!!

Toni said...

Great job!! I had to giggle at your #2 suggestion though! :)

Lana said...

oh wow...you out did yourself...this is very nice.