Wednesday, June 30, 2010

America.. the beautiful

Well - it's been an adventure to say the least. We arrived at my parents house last night and will be spending a couple nights here. We will continue on to Duluth tomorrow morning... only a 4 hour drive. We are staying a day to rest so my Mom can spoil the grandkids for a bit.

Here are a few things I've learned as we've been driving from state to state for the past 3 days...

- People still hitchhike

- Even my dog, Biscuit, doesn't like Sunchips! bleck!

- Biscuit does likes Honey Roasted Cashews

- Kids can eat their weight in munchies when bored

- Kids do a number on your car when traveling.. no matter how many time you say "ALL your trash goes in this bag"

- I forgot how blue the sky is when you aren't looking at it through pollution (sorry Phoenix.. but it's true)

- My dogs bladder can actually tell time! She woke me up nightly at 2am in each hotel/city/time zone.

- No one looks good walking a dog at 2 am.

So today is a day of rest and then we will be unloading our truck tomorrow in Duluth. We can't wait to see my husband - the kids and I haven't seen him since early May!!! He's been there working the new job and getting to know the town. We got a new house in Hermantown - which is just outside of Duluth. I can't wait to see it in person - I've only seen pictures.. lots of pictures.

Speaking of pictures.. here are a few from the road...

Somewhere in Colorado...


My trusty sidekick, Biscuit. She get's car sick so she was taking Dramamine every morning. It helped her sleep and rest. She did so good!!


The sunrise yesterday morning.. somewhere over Nebraska.

I'm excited for this trip to be over and be at our new house. I have a lot of unpacking to do and can't wait to sleep in my own bed again.

I'm arriving at a good time too! The Minnesota Shop Hop is coming July 30th. I won't be traveling the entire state - but I will be visiting some of the quilt stores in the Duluth area! Anyone want to join me?
Pin It

12 comments:

Lis Harwood said...

What an epic drive, well done you - and well done Biscuit and the kids too (even if they did miss the rubbish bag sometimes), be happy in your new home - looking forward to more pics - great sunrise btw.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the state! Duluth is an absolutely lovely area as is all of Minnesota. I do not live in Duluth, but I so enjoy visiting. I like to just sit on the rocks in the harbor and watch the waves and ships come in. It will be just a tad different from Arizona, okay a lot different.

Glad you will be in time for the state wide Shop Hop it is so fun to do.


Pat from a couple hours south/west of Duluth.

Needled Mom said...

It will be nice to sleep in your own bed, but it looks like it has been a memorable trip for all. Enjoy the pampering that only a mother can give.

Helen in Switzerland said...

What an adventure! That is certainly a trip that you will all remember. Wishing you much luck and happiness in your new home and that you will survive your first winter back in the north - which I guess will be a huge shock to everyone's systems!

Patty said...

What nice memories that you and your boys now have of a drive across country. Hope you have many happy day in your new home.

kimland said...

Heidi, I am so excited for you and your family! I love Minnesota. I will not lie winters are long (think of it as quality quilting time!)but the rest of the year is wonderful. Someday look up Betty's Pies in Two Harbor, mmm...

Luv 2 Kreate said...

Sounds like an adventure... joy your new home!

Jane said...

So glad the you've had a safe journey so far. Enjoy your rest and all the best for your reunion

Denise said...

Glad to hear that you have arrived and I am jealous for all the quilt shops in your area. Hope you are able to get back to sewing soon and looking forward to pictures of your projects.

Apron Senorita said...

Hi, I’m Yoli from Apron Senorita. I come through Follow Friday 40 and Over. It’s so nice to meet you and I wish you a happy July 4th holiday.

Yoli
http://apronsenorita.blogspot.com/

Micki said...

What a wonderful journey...I loved sharing hte pics!
Micki

Dorrie said...

Hope all is well Heidi! What a great trip!