Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Teacher Delivery

I finished the quilt for Mrs Curtis this morning.. so my little one could deliver it to her before school.

I tried something new - fusible batting. Have you ever tried it before? I did NOT like it! I don't remember the brand - but I bought it from Joanns. It had way more loft than I like and frankly, it didn't fuse well at all. If I had more time - I would have ripped the quilting out and re-basted with some of my favorite "Warm n' Natural".


We wrapped it up and my son made her the cutest little card. He was so anxious to give it to her this morning. I'll be seeing her in a couple hours when I pick him up - I'm sure there will be tears from both of us. We will truly miss her! She is a wonderful teacher!

Now.. here is my favorite self portrait.. his hair makes me smile!


This is a little boy in my son's class who happens to have autism. He's super sweet and my son talks about him all the time.

Early in the school year - we had issues because my little "class clown" realized that Roman likes to repeat things. So my fiesty little boy would say things to get Roman going. Well, his teacher and I came up with a plan to hopefully put an end to it.. and it worked. My son loves to be a helper (like most kids) so his teacher made him Roman's personal "helper". He walks Roman to the learning center.. helps him with his backpack everyday.. and pats and rubs his back during school assemblies to keep Roman calm.. and so much more.

In the end - it created an awesome friendship... and taught my son a valuable lesson at the same time. He looks out for Roman and his Mom thanked my son this past Friday at their class party! He was pretty proud of himself. He told me that he's going to miss Roman when we move.. and I'm sure Roman will miss him too! Pin It

10 comments:

Georgia said...

Awww. That's so sweet. As the mom of a child on the autism spectrum, it's so nice to see these things!

Asiyah said...

Heidi...awwww. That brought tears to my eyes. You're such a good mama and it sounds like that goodness is rubbing off on your son. Good job! I love the quilt!

AllieKatMom said...

This is adorable!!!! I bet she will love it to peices.

Sue said...

That's a lovely story. I'm sure your boy will grow up to be a wonderful man too.

Kim said...

What a wonderful quilt! It's so touching to see children helping each other. What a great friendship and experience for both of the boys.

Rachel said...

What a beautiful gift for the teacher.

And that is such a nice story - very touching! Your son sounds like a sweetie, and I'm sure he learned a great lesson from helping Roman.

Jane said...

They never forget these lessons, it will be with him for the rest of his life. The quilt is beautiful and will be a treasure

Poppyprint said...

So, how much Kleenex did you two go thru? What a sweet quilt (sorry about the batting, thanks for the head's up) and an even lovelier story about the boys. Hopefully they can send each other letters! I loved penpals when I was young..email just doesn't cut it!

Lis Harwood said...

What a great story, how brilliant of the teacher to make your son Roman's helper, a really clever move. Lovely quilt.

Unknown said...

As a teacher myself, I know that the quilt you made is a priceless gift that will always be treasured. As a parent, it made my heart happy to hear that your son learned far more than reading, writing, and arithmetic this year. What a wonderful relationship...