Monday, June 6, 2011

Garden Rocks

We have been working away on our garden and it's finally planted! YAY!!!

We wanted to find a fun way to mark our plants.. and this is what we came up with.

First you need some rocks.. washed and dried.

Then you need some paint pens and a sealer. We used a "matte" finish for the sealer.

Next - start painting...

When they are completely dry, find a well ventilated spot to spray the sealer. We went outside to do this.

We applied 3 coats of the sealer.

Next - we decided to paint a large rock that we had dug out of the garden a few weeks back.
This one didn't turn out as good because our paint pens were starting to leak.. but we love it anyway. Pin It

16 comments:

happydaysquilting said...

Great idea!

Brenda said...

Wonderful idea. I used acrylic paints to do something similar years ago but I do not think my sealer was outdoor sealer and they did not last very long. And paint pens would be so much easier and quicker than a small paint brush. Thanks for the share.

Kari @ The Purple Quiltapotamus said...

Oh my goodness those are super cute and such a great idea!!

PinkGranny said...

Wha a wonderful idea. Ingenuity is a great gift!

Amanda Dickson said...

Very cute rocks!

Cheryll said...

Fantastic idea! I bet your children LoVe it! :)

Salem Stitcher said...

Well, that's about the cutest thing I've ever seen!

Vintage Cate said...

What a great idea. My daughter is a very keen gardener and I am always on the look-out for quirky gifts to give her. She has way too many quilts (!!) so the rock markers are a terrific idea. Thanks Heidi.

donna said...

Love your rocks. Oh how that brings back memories. My grandmother had a rock garden. Any time someone went somewhere we would pick up a rock from there and she would paint the city and state on it.
Hugs
donna

sunny said...

What a fantastic idea! And oh so cute.

Anonymous said...

Heidi what a great idea,well done

jillytacy said...

Your garden rocks look fabulous! What a great way to label your veggies and plants! Thanks for sharing this I think I'll give it a try too.

paulette said...

Wow!! Great idea!! So cute!
P

The Vegetarian Hunter said...

Super smart idea and I love how you are not adding anything foreign into the natural setting. Just plants and rocks, I like it!

boysmum2 said...

What a fab cool idea, love it

Ramona said...

That reminds me of that joke - "I have a rock garden - last week two of them died!" Cute idea - you are so creative.