Monday, June 13, 2011

It makes a Quilter sad...

Have you ever been to a garage sale.. or a thrift store and seen handmade clothes or quilts? It seriously makes me sad when I see this. I always think about the person who made it.. and gave it as a gift.. thinking it would be treasured forever. But instead - it makes it's way to the donation/garage sale pile.

I found this quilt at a garage sale recently for $4. Yes.. only $4. It's a good size.. not huge but nice. It's made with all polyester..


even the back.

One thing about 100% polyester quilts.. although durable - they are not warm! I learned this the hard way when I brought this to a recent baseball game for my son. The wind was brutal and cold.. and it came right through this baby.

It reminds me of quilts that my grandma used to make. Her's were full of polyester and corduroy. Although her backings were either flannel or cotton which added the warmth factor.

So next time you go to a garage sale - or thrift store.. do a fellow quilter a favor and scoop up these treasures! Pin It

13 comments:

Monica said...

I have polyester quilt made by my grandmother. It's uglier than sin but I love it nonetheless. It has a cotton backing which definately helps hold in the heat.

Thank you for reminding that I have it stowed away somewhere. I need to find it.

Nanci said...

Oh my gosh I feel the same way. I can't tell you how many quilts I have saved and taken home to fix or put a backing on and then I ususally try to give them a good home. I always feel like someone put alot of time and money into a quilt or quilt top only to have it live out it's life in a box.

Cathy said...

I always treasure these found quilts and quilt tops. Hugs

Poppyprint said...

It's Fortrel! It will never die and make a perfect picnic quilt. Good on ya for saving it!

kerrykatiecakes2 said...

I'm with you! I am continually "saving" treasures and bringing them home from the thrift stores. It breaks my heart to see priceless handmade tatting, quilting, or other fiber arts not appreciated. At least if we buy them, we can give them the good home they deserve!
Hugs,
Kerry

Kim said...

Good save! This one looks like a nice little picnic quilt - or bench warmer. :-D Our weather has been pretty sad where baseball game viewing is concerned - feels like hockey weather! Stay warm - summer's coming soon.

Anonymous said...

what a great find Heidi and if only quilts could talk hey,lol

rosie said...

I do the same, take them home for some love! That one would make a nice play rug for a baby...
xxx

Needled Mom said...

I always feel so sorry for the "artists" whose creations are just tossed aside as well. I am so happy when someone picks them up - someone who knows the work that went into the pieces.

Bobbi said...

thats a great quilt. it reminds me so much of grandmas quilts! thank goodness you saved it from a possible catastrophe, like some mans garage rag.

Marg said...

My very first quilt was like this - didn't know anything about "rules" and just used scraps from my then sewing basket. I've still got it and although my quilting has come along way since those days, it reminds me of my journey and it is still a reminder of favourite dresses of years gone by.

Val said...

I totally feel the same way!! Sad.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I feel the same way -- you always wonder about the person whose hands made that quilt and who it was for and all the circumstances. I feel the same way when I see family photos in an antique store. And..poly isn't warm, that is why I always use plain old, common, cotton. Can't beat it -- after all, it is the fabric of our lives!!!!