Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Checkers Anyone?

Have you ever seen these large checker games?

My brother got this one as a Christmas gift this past year. He has always been a big game player.

He works in Afghanistan and travels back to the US every 3 months. He usually spends a night with other co-workers in Dubai while they wait for their flights home to various parts of the World. And typically they pass the time playing games.. checkers.. dominos.. etc.

Well, he asked me to make a bag to carry the game.  Do you think it's "manly" enough?

The pockets were his idea - he originally asked for a pocket for each checker so he would always know that he had them all packed. But 24 pockets seemed a little daunting. So I made 12 total - 6 red and 6 black (2 checkers in each).

What do you think? I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. He's currently home so I will get to see what he thinks about it this weekend when I see him.

And the best part - all the fabric was from my stash!! I only needed to purchase the zipper! I love when that happens. Pin It

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great idea Heidi i think your brother will love it.well done.

PinkGranny said...

I am very impressed! What a good bag and what a nice game to go inside. It is good to hear about the popularity of more traditional hands on games! Way to go.

Impera Magna said...

Love it! You did a GREAT job!

RobynLouise said...

That's a great little bag! He's sure to like it.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Wonderful job, I think he will love it! What company does he work with over there, I hear there are some good companies and then some you want to stay away from too.

Cathy said...

Love the bag. I'm sure your brother will too.

Val said...

That is a wonderful bag!!!

FlourishingPalms said...

It's a really wonderful checker-tote. Nice and masculine, and no mistaking what he's supposed to put inside. Maybe you can add a tab to the zipper pull. Something round? Maybe a checker that's had a hole drilled through, or something cleverly related to checkers? Just a thought... to give it a finishing touch.

Karin said...

The bag turned out great and I´m sure your brother will love it!!

pinsandneedles said...

Great idea! I'm sure your brother will really appreciate it!

Needled Mom said...

It looks awesome and I think the twelve pockets will work out fine.

Jen said...

This is darling! What an awesome gift!

Mary Ann said...

This is an absolutely great idea and that you could make it for just the price of a zipper - very cool! Would you be able to post a tutorial? My son loves to play checkers and we could take his along on a picnic :-) (That is, after the newest snowfall melts.)

Gerri said...

Great job on the bag. It looks awesome! Are you going to be posting or selling the pattern/directions? I have that checker set, and it is (shamefully) living in a plastic grocery bag. :(

webmailaddress2 said...

That is a great bag--nice looking AND functional!