Friday, March 25, 2011

Roadtrip turned upside down

The kids are on Spring Break this next week. We had plans (just me and the kids) to roadtrip to Grandma and Grandpa's house (4.5 hours away) and spend a few days.. eating.. laughing.. playing.. laughing.. you get the picture.

Well, we had to cancel because we are still sick and need to get better. In fact, my Mom told me so. I think her words were "You guys are sick and shouldn't be out on the road.. stay home and rest and we will see you Easter." And even at my age, when your mom tells you to do something.. you do it!

So, we decided to get a head start on our VERY FIRST GARDEN!!

We are very excited. My husband is pumped.. the kids are pumped.. and I'm doing all the work pumped.

We always wanted a garden when we lived in Arizona - but the sandy soil isn't very "garden" friendly. So even though they have multiple growing seasons - it takes a lot of time and know how to do it. Years and years of soil prep and typically all done above ground.. so we never took the time to do it.

But, while the kids were at school today - the husband and I went to our local garden center and bought some initial supplies. We will be getting our seeds started this weekend.

Now we just need all the snow to melt and the ground to thaw. Then my Dad and Uncle will be bringing the rototiller to prep the plot we have picked out and we can get growing!!

How about you? Do you garden? What kinds of things do you grow? Pin It

10 comments:

Kristin said...

we SOOO garden! It's one of the best family activites there is! Every spring each of my kids gets to pick any plant (under $5) and take care of it all season. Personally I'm addicted to roses and have more than 70 different varieties growing in my garden. So if you ever want any rose advice - I'm your girl!

Tina said...

I have attempted to grow tomatos in the past with NO luck. So, this year, i've decided to plant tomatos, cucumbers, green beans, green pepper, green onion, spinach, basil and a blueberry plant. I guess my reasoning is that I haven't been able to grow tomatoes in the past because I just haven't given them enough other plants to hang out with. Now that I have neough plants, everything will grow great this year!

Jannette said...

We've gardened almost every year that we've been married (29 years in June!)
For some reason, we can't grow corn, but it's plentiful at garden stands, so we let someone else do all the work...!
We usually grow tomatoes, beans, cucumbers (both for eating fresh and for pickling), squash, peas, spinach, potatoes, onions, peppers, carrots and red beets and all kinds of flowers. We freeze most of the veggies, but I do can some and I also make my own pickles, tomato sauce and relish. We're fortunate to have a garden here at home, and Hubby has a bigger garden at the farm where he works, so space isn't an issue...

Needled Mom said...

Oh yeah!!!! It will be such a fabulous family project and you get to enjoy all that you grow.

Yep, we have a year round garden in So. CA and love it. We raise all of our own fruit and veggies.

Anonymous said...

we have a huge vege garden Heidi and nothing beats cooking and going out to the garden to pick some fresh vege's or herbs.Our grand-children when they come over race straight to the strawberry patch lol and when you see their faces with strawberry juice running down their chins,bought strawberrys dont have juice like the fresh ones,have fun.

Barb said...

WE have tried our hands at gardening a time or two. One time I had the most awesome strawberry patch....but well...we basially can grow peppers and peppers...HA!! Good luck...

Regina said...

My kids love to garden. Unfortunately I have a black thumb. My husband was blessed with a green thumb. We usually try for a large garden but when we can't we at least grow strawberries. It's fun for the kids.

Kristen said...

Strawberries, melons, eggplant zucchini and lettuce are easy. I bet they all would grow like crazy where you live! Let me know if you need some organic lettuce seeds or melons. I have tons from last years plants!

Val said...

Oh yes, we garden and I can't wait. We grow everything. We have a big garden. I can't wait to eat a "real" tomatoe!

pinsandneedles said...

Gardening is a fun family activity but is also work. That said...there is nothing like a garden fresh tomato! We plant several varieties (I love growing grape tomatoes to snack on right from the garden!) We have grown zucchini, cucumber, potatoes, peppers. Last year we had fun growing canteloupe melons!YUM!