Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Scraps and Resources

You may not know this about me.. but I love the public library! It was one of the first places we visited after moving here.

And I can usually be found sitting on the floor in the "crafts/hobbies" isle looking at old quilting books. I love paging through them and getting inspired by pictures of old quilts. It's a great resource for me.

My library keeps a jar at the front desk. In this jar they keep bookmarks that they have found in returned books. These bookmarks are "free" to anyone who wants them.

Now.. I can honestly say that up until this point, I had never taken one. I never felt the need to grab one of these free bookmarks. Until the other day..  I spotted one in the jar that I couldn't help but snatch it up before someone else did.

You probably can't read it.. but it says "Quilters 2002" and below that is the name "Margaret". I love this new bookmark.. and I feel bad that Margaret forgot it in a book. Probably a quilting book I'm sure. But I want Margaret to know that I love it.. and will take great care of it.

And if Margaret is reading this.. let me just say "Finders keepers.. Losers weepers"!! Ok.. not really - I'd give it back if I actually knew who she was.. and if she could catch me. 

Anyway - this little bookmark inspired me to make a few fabric bookmarks. 

The only small ric rac I had on hand was pink - so my fabric choices were limited. But I dug through my scrap bin and came up with these two little jewels.

They were super quick to make - and would make nice gifts. If you are interested - my fabric was 2 1/2 inches wide and 9 inches long. Great little scrap buster project too! Pin It

16 comments:

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Your bookmarks are adorable.

PinkGranny said...

What a sweet bookmark. My mind is swirling with the little scraps beckoning to me. I have a hard time parting with little scraps and now I have an excuse to use them. Gifts, prizes, the uses are limitless!

Debbie said...

Cute story! And darling bookmarks. fun.

Needled Mom said...

What a clever idea for the library to do!! I love your pretty bookmark.

sunny said...

Great idea at the library! And I would have grabbed that one, too. These will be adorable as little tuck-ins with swaps, stocking stuffers, etc. thanks for sharing.

Poppyprint said...

How fun to find treasure at the library!! Cute bookmarks.

Bev C said...

Very sweet bookmarks. Remember to take them out of the book Heidi or else they will end up in the jar!!!
I love the library to,can't get enough books in our day.
Bev.xoxo

Marg said...

Very cute and what a lovely little gift idea. Thanks for sharing

Cheryl said...

I am sure Margaret is very happy that you have it! What a great gift idea. Thinking I will be making a few myself. Exctied about this months Sew-In!

corina said...

Lovely story. Maybe you will be holding a bookmark swap? Quick little project, easy to mail away? Just a thought!

rosie said...

What a great idea, this is so achievable.. Love the precious bookmark which you were able to get to 'look after'..

Bobbi said...

my scrap pile is getting HUGE! thanks for such a great idea/project.

Kari @ The Purple Quiltapotamus said...

Awe those are adorable! I have a little girl that would LOVE something like that - time to get going on my scrap pile! Thanks for the inspiration!

Val said...

I would have grabbed that bookmark too! And I love yours! So cute!

Gina E. said...

I'm a new visitor to your blog, Heidi - found you on Jane's blog. Love your tutorials, and your library's idea of the bookmark jar! I'm going to suggest that to our local library; I'll even hand paint a jar for them to put any bookmarks in, if they refuse to do it!
Your pink bookmarks are really cute. I adore ric rac, and am always looking for things to make using it as a trim, so I'll be noting this idea!

acetheshy1 said...

what a cute and fast project..thanks for sharing.