Saturday, September 18, 2010

Friday Night Sew-In Results!!

I am always on a quest to be organized - I'm sure a few of you out there totally get what I'm saying.

Every year when school begins, I always get papers that I think "I'm going to put this in a place that I won't forget"... but then I usually do forget. You still with me? Yep.. I see you shaking your head.

And since the day my husband and I got married - we have had a system for bills. We have a notebook and everything is written down when to pay etc.

So I decided to put everything in a binder. These are some of the tabs that I have...

1. One for each kid.. with their school papers that I need to keep in their sections. Along with names and phone #'s of their friends (with the parents names and address).

2. Another for my Christmas card list.. everyone's address is there. Along with my regular address book.

3. A tab for bills - need I say more.

4. Emergency repair phone #'s - like utilities, gas, cable.. etc.

5. Emergency house information - like where the shut off is for water, breaker box, gas line.. etc. Do you know where these are in your house? You should - what if there was an emergency??!! (sorry.. got a little bossy there)

And pretty much anything else I can think of in the future.

And since I like things 'pretty' - I made this binder cover...

Cute huh? I used "Whimsy" by Fig Tree Quilts for Moda. It was a little stack of 2 1/2 inch squares from my Moda Bakeshop Sampler. Along with 2 fat quarters and some Ric Rac.

Now I'm off to see what the rest of you worked on last night! Pin It

29 comments:

Joanne said...

The binder looks great and such a good idea!

Faye Lewis said...

Oh my goodness,why was I thinking that the September sew in was on the 27th? I missed it!

Libby said...

So Cute! and such a handy item!!

Julia said...

This binder cover is so pretty! If I took the time to make such a pretty binder, I would probably be more likely to actually use it. I like the idea of being organized and compared to my husband, well, let's just say, I'm the queen of organization, but that's compared to my husband.

Cheryll said...

You are soooo clever ! It's great!
:)

Maria said...

Love your binder cover. Must nicer to look at than the plastic cover.

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

Good for you! My kids were sick last night so can you take me off the link up list?! (since I don't have anything to show!)

Luv 2 Kreate said...

Too cute, I need to make something like that for my household binder!

Dogmom Diva said...

That is too cute and useful..did you have a pattern for that? Ok need to go post my pics too..

Barb

Jane said...

Oh, I love that, makes it easy to find too

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

What a great idea for using the little stack of squares Heidi! I'm going to do that too!

Barb said...

Just love it...and what a fun way to get organized.

Deanna said...

That is such a nice binder cover. That is the sort of thing I wanted to work on, but, instead, I played catch up. Oh well. Necessary before glamorous, I guess. Thanks for hosting.

Manda said...

Very pretty cover! I wish I was that organised!

Sheri said...

The binder is lovely .Thanks for hosting this, it was fun.
Sheri

Victoria said...

Binder came out great. I got to finish up my quilt top. Its the fons and porter Prism pattern.

Vicky

Shay said...

Wow! That's gorgeous. Why had I never thought of doing that before?

Completely copying this idea at some point in the future.

pinsandneedles said...

Great idea Heidi! Pretty fabrics too!

Jess said...

Very Cute, and great idea! I love the colors of the fabrics:)

RobynLouise said...

Much nicer cover to look at than a coloured vinyl. I've made journal covers but never thought of covering a folder!

Jamie said...

Very cute Heidi! sorry I missed the sew in this month. We've been really busy with school and some family stuff. I'll be glad to find some sewing time soon!

lisa said...

thats a good idea! I won't be using it at the moment but it is earmarked for later!

I am in the proccess of reorganising my house. Mainly because I found a mouse and haven't been able to catch him for almost a month now. He makes rare apperances and I am always so startled I forget to try and get him. Also we will be moving at the end of the school year and I want to get as ready as I can, as de-cluttered, as sorted as I can now while I am working on finding little buddys nooks. everythigns out anyways!

Needled Mom said...

Sooo cute, Heidi!! What a wonderful idea too.

Mistea said...

Your binder cover is gorgeous. Useful things should always be pretty.
Thanks for hosting.

Val said...

Oh this is so smart and so beautiful. I did sew. I don't think I ever got my link on. For some reason I had trouble with it. We were at our hunting club and I brought my little feather weight. I didn't finish a project but did get started. I will post about it this morning. Thanks for hosting this and I am so glad to be back.

Climbing to the Higher Calling said...

Any effort for organization gets my vote! Having quilts in every form brings a smile, so even a folder for bills can be covered up and cause a grin to appear when least expected! Nice work! Debi

Madelyn said...

Love your binder cover!

Mary Anne Drury said...

That is the CUTEST binder cover ever !!!!

Sandra said...

This is too cute! Nice job!