Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Mixed Emotions

I know.. I know.. millions of kids do it every day. blah blah blah...

Today is the first day of school here in Minnesota. But for my little Arizona boys, it's not just the first day of school.. but it's also the first day of school IN Minnesota. AND.. the first ride to school on a big yellow bus.

In Arizona, we were just down the street from the school. We rode bikes.. walked.. and yes, sometimes we even drove. Don't judge me.

But today my little babies stepped onto a School Bus for the first time. I almost didn't let it happen. I wanted to drive them myself. Especially on the first day of school - but everyone told me not to. They said let them ride the bus the first day.. learn the ropes.

Do you know what kind of things they learn on the school bus? I do.. I used to ride the bus and I was one of the worst ones... seriously.

Yeah - well as the big yellow bandit drove up to steal my babies.. I sat on the front steps with camera in hand and could feel myself getting all choked up.


I heard the bus driver say "Hi Guys.. are you ready for the first day?".. and I wanted to yell "DON'T GET ON THE BUS.. MOMMY WILL DRIVE YOU!!"

But I didn't.. I just chocked back the tears and watched the door close. I had thoughts of jumping in my car and chasing the bus.. or becoming a home schooling Mom...

But then it hit me.. I now have 7 hours (or so) to myself...

I could watch a movie.. a girly movie.. or sew.. or take a nap.. WOW.. the possibilities are endless.
Oh, who am I kidding, there is laundry to do and beds to be made.

But, before I do any of that, maybe I will get in the car and see if I can find that bus. You know.. just to make sure they get to school safely on time. Pin It

17 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

It will be easier Heidi. Promise.

Maria said...

Well done Heidi for not hijacking the bus and driving your gorgeous boys to school yourelf.I bet they loved their firsty day at school?

Kathi said...

Awww... It'll be fine. :)

So green in your pictures!! I'm always jealous when it's still 110 here and so nice everywhere else!

Lisa at Sun Naturals said...

OK I'm teary now! I'm still getting used to my first grader getting on the bus and she started last week! I have all the same emotions.

Barb said...

I am sorry, you had me in tears until they got on the bus and then you realized you had alot of time to yourself....that had me laughing....so enjoy your time alone...and you will really enjoy them when they come home.

Julia said...

I was fortunate that I taught at the school where my girls were students. So, when the first day rolled around they just went with me. That is except for the year our oldest was in first grade and youngest had just been born and I took the first half of the year off. I had to watch oldest one get on the bus. It was only for a few months, though. Now, I've experienced seeing two oldest grands get on the bus. I don't know why that is such a lonely feeling, but it is.
Take advantage of your time, though.

RobynLouise said...

I was like that after we first moved here and my 2 kids were first on the bus and last off and the school was only a couple of miles away but their whole bus trip to school took about 20 mins mostly on a rough unsealed road! I was pregnant with my 3rd child at the time so I wasn't driving them to school or bus chasing. You'll become used to it and though it may put a few rough edges on your kids they'll grow out of them....mine did :).

Mrs Quilty said...

I love this post! Such cute pictures taking us on the trip to the bus with your cute boys! I understand your feelings! It's very hard to have our children grow up!!! Your boys are adorable by the way!

AllieKatMom said...

LOL, you so just described me

Patty said...

Yay for the first day of school, the bus can be fun. Honestly.

Val said...

Oh I can imagine how hard this was. My mom followed the bus and came and looked in the window at school to make sure that we were alright. That was many years ago.

boysmum2 said...

I'm all teary now and choking on my sandwich! I hadn't thought of it like that before but can see why you would want to follow the bus, I would too. Well done for being so brave. Would love to hear how the boys did on their first bus ride? Was it as bad for them or did they love it?

SheilaC said...

Whether it's the first day on the bus or the first day of college, it is SO hard to walk away and let them spread their wings. :)

As moms, I think we have all been there, and we empathize with you!

Glad you had some fun while they were gone :)

SheilaC

Sandra said...

I'm sure your kids appreciate, or will appreciate, the fact that you are there for them. Hope you can set aside some time for yourself to regroup. Moving is stressful.

Lois said...

The beginning of the school year is "bitter-sweet" for parents but we need to remember that our job is to give them "roots to grow and wings to fly". It does get better and now enjoy seven hours of the "sweet"!

Poppyprint said...

Awwww, you are so sweet. Those were really great photos and I could feel your pain as they stepped onto the bus! How did it go for them? Have they met anyone at school yet? Both my kids started at new schools today (one in HS, one in French Immersion). They're both really happy...well big boy more so than littler girl, but she'll be ok. We can walk, tho. I never rode a bus...exactly what goes on?

Cheryl said...

My babies are 32 and 28...your post had me right back at the moment in time when I went through the same thoughts, same feelings, same emotions.....such a great post and thanks for reminding of a time way back when. They are lucky young men to have a wonderful mom like you! ((((hugs))))